Oh, Monday. We meet again, unfortunately.
Did anyone else have the world’s fastest weekend? Mine just flew. Even with the extra hour of sleep (which I am so very thankful for) I’m wishing we had a few more days to relax and unwind. A girl can dream, right?
John and I had a really nice Saturday night. I wanted to try out a new recipe, so we decided to pair the new with an old favorite — marinated skirt steak. The marinade is from my mother-in-law, and she can be super secretive about her recipes, so unfortunately I can’t share it. I don’t want to make her mad only 5 months into my marriage!
But I can share the new Cilantro Lime Shrimp recipe I found. It was extremely flavorful and different, but if you don’t like spicy, this is probably not the recipe for you.
First, I chopped a few cloves of garlic, an onion and jalapeno and threw it into my pan with some butter and oil.
Once the onions started to appear a little cooked, we added red pepper flakes and oregano.
While the onions were cooking, I chopped up two tomatoes. When the onions looked translucent, I threw the tomatoes in.
After the tomatoes cooked for a bit and seemed soft, I added a pound of split and deveined shrimp.
During this time I stirred the shrimp in the pan with the other ingredients, so they were able to soak up all the juices. When the shrimp seemed to have cooked through, I added salt, pepper and lime zest and juice. I stirred everything together, and removed the pan from the heat and added chopped cilantro.
While I was doing this, John put his steaks on our “indoor grill.”
The final product was amazing. How good do these shrimp look??
They were crazy flavorful. The jalapeno definitely packed a punch though, so if you aren’t into eye-watering meals I would suggest you skip this one. As for us, we’ll definitely be making this recipe again!
- 1 tblsp. butter
- 1 tblsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. oregano
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 pound shrimp, split and deveined
- 2 tblsp. chopped cilantro
- Melt butter and oil over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, onion and jalapeno.
- Cook, stirring until the onion begins to wilt, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the red pepper flakes and oregano.
- Continue cooking until the onion becomes translucent, approximately 3 additional minutes.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the shrimp, zest and lime juice, salt and black pepper.
- Cook until the shrimp are just opaque.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Eat ‘em up!